Sunday, September 17, 2006

Mexican Independence Day September 16........
September 16 is Mexico's Independence Day, and the night before on the 15th is the Noche Mexicana Celebration honoring Father Miguel Hidalgo's famous cry of freedom, known as "El Grito". Sandra and I celebrated the evening at Tres Marias. The party was advertised from 8 pm until 1 am. At 8 o'clock I was ready to go, but Sandra said we should wait until 9 or 9:30 to go, so as not to arrive to early. Well, I hate to be late for things so I was antsy to leave while Sandra took her time getting ready. We arrived about 9:30 and discovered we were the only ones there. Most of the others arrived at 10:30 or 11:00. I guess I got another lesson on "Mexican Time". One thing about living in Mexico is that time is relative. One might as well learn to relax, don't worry, be very patient and try not to arrive too early. The photo below shows Sandra and I before the crowd arrived.
The menu featured a Menu Michoacano. The buffet featured tacos, sopes, enchiladas and pozole. Drinks were atole (a drink made from corn), rumpope (an eggnog drink), tequila and cafe de olla (coffee and cinnamon drink made in a clay pot). There were also various postres (sweets), though I was too stuffed to try any. The photo below shows the dancers performing with the first band to perform.
Of course, what is a Mexican party with a Mariachi band performing. This photo shows the band.
The last photo is one I took of Sandra dancing a solo performance to the song "Guadalajara". Sandra is from the state of Jalisco and Guadalajara is the state capitol and the state song. I was really amazed at how Sandra danced. She told me she learned from watching other dancers perform. The beautiful hand sewn blouse Sandra is wearing is one we purchased in Oaxaca about 5 years ago. We returned home about 1:30 am only to be kept awake until 4 am by the partying of the youth at the nightclub down the street from our apartment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home